When making my Vegetarian Chili for the first time in a very long while, I needed to have some cornbread on the side. I am a sucker for a thick slice of cornbread when we go out to eat at a restaurant once in awhile, but I am also heavily reliant on my muffin tin! These cornbread muffins adapted from Once Upon A Chef were not only delectable, but also so easy to reheat!
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tin. I prefer to use a light coating of butter in the tin as this gives the edges of the muffins a nice crispness.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients: eggs, buttermilk, melted butter.
4. Fold wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined.
5. Measure batter into prepared muffin tin and bake at 350F for 15-18 min, until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. (As you can see, I’m not great at measuring the “perfect” amount into each tin, but they come out yummy just the same!) Cool 5 min and then serve immediately.
6. Serve warm with butter and your favourite meal – enjoy!
Servings: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 12 min
Bake Time: 18 min
Total Time: 30 min
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk (regular milk will do in a pinch)
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare muffin tin by placing muffin liners inside, spraying with non-stick spray, or coating with butter/margarine. I prefer to use the butter on the tray to give the edges of the muffins a nice crispness.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a separate bowl.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry. Stir until just combined.
- Bake in preheated oven 15-18 min, until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool 5 min, then serve immediately.